The Roddenberry Fellowship
Launched in 2016, the Roddenberry Fellowship is a $1 million investment in innovators, community leaders, and changemakers whose work has the greatest potential to protect the most vulnerable and to reinvent systems and structures that have served to oppress and disadvantage far too many for far too long.
To date, there are 58 Roddenberry Fellows, from across the country and from different disciplines, taking action on issues as diverse as immigrant detention, voting rights, and domestic abuse. Join them!
Fellows must be working on a project, organization, or initiative with direct impact in one of five areas:
All Roddenberry Fellows receive a $50,000 award, as well as:
- One-on-one professional coaching and development opportunities
- Virtual collaboration sessions to provide ongoing advisement, support, and connections
Two required in-person retreats (assuming state/city ordinances allow):
- February 22-26, 2021 in Los Angeles;
- October 7-10, 2021 in New York
- A community of peers and allies who share resources, expertise, and support
Dates and Details
- Fellowship Launch: May 19, 2020
Between May 19 and June 18, you are invited to learn about the Fellowship and complete the Round One application.
- Round One Deadline: June 18, 2020
Complete registration and submit your application by 5:00 PM Pacific.
- Round One review: June 22–July 24, 2020
The Roddenberry Foundation team reviews submissions to ensure they comply with Fellowship eligibility and rules, and a panel of vetters evaluates applications using the scoring rubric.
- Round Two invitations: July 27, 2020
- Round Two opens: July 27, 2020
A select number of applications will be invited to submit an application for Round Two of the Fellowship. Only those who are invited to Round Two will remain in consideration for the 2021 Fellowship.
- Round Two deadline: August 21, 2020
Round Two applicants will have three weeks to submit their Round Two application. All Round Two applications are due by Friday, August 21, at 5:00 PM Pacific
- Round Two Evaluation: August 24–October 23, 2020
The Roddenberry Foundation team a panel of judges evaluates applications using the scoring criteria and finalizes the 2021 cohort.
- Fellows Announcement: November 2020
The 2021 Fellows will be announced on this website, The Roddenberry Foundation website, social media, and via press release.
- Fellowship Begins: January 2021
The 2021 Fellowship will officially begin in January 2021 with a cohort-wide call to kick things off.
The Roddenberry Foundation welcomes Fellowship applications from individuals who meet all of the following:
- United States citizens, permanent residents, DACA recipients, or current visa holders who reside in the 50 United States or its territories.
- Individuals who are the principal of their initiatives or organizations, including Founder, Co-Founder, President, CEO, or Executive Director.
- Individuals who are 18 years of age or older.
- Individuals employed by or affiliated with organizations or institutions with a budget of $1.5mil or less.
Given the extraordinary demands placed on US communities because of COVID-19, the Foundation is raising the organizational budget restriction to $3M. Entities with a budget of $3M and below may apply.
- Individuals whose primary focus of their work is either immigrant & refugee rights, civil rights, LGBTQIA+ & women’s rights, or environmental protection.
- Individuals who are based in and whose work is focused solely on communities in the United States.
- Individuals who can devote 100% of their time in 2020 to their project or initiative.