More than six million Latino children live in poverty, the majority of whom were born to immigrant parents. Exploitation and discrimination, long detentions, the separation of families, and human trafficking are features of an immigration system driven by political interests and racial biases. We need to secure the rights of newcomers to the US so that they have full opportunities to integrate into our communities and lead prosperous and productive lives.
Prospective Fellows applying in the Immigrant & Refugee Rights issue area will work to champion the rights of DACA recipients, immigrants, and refugees to increase their possibility for success and wellbeing, including but certainly not limited to:
- Supporting services, programs, and the rights of DACA recipients
- Fighting for state and federal accountability to protect the rights of immigrants and refugees
- Ensuring equitable access to education, healthcare, housing, and other basic services
- Protecting migrant workers from abuse
- Aiding refugee resettlement
- Defending deportation and providing related legal services
A nation ringed by walls will only imprison itself.